Snapchat’s automatic deletion feature has been a major draw for social media users. All messages are deleted when the sender or receiver leaves a chat. Because messages disappear quickly, users often feel more secure. We know that messages will disappear quickly so deleting them isn’t an issue.
There are occasions when you might want to access those messages. You might need to retrieve old messages from a friend, a special chat, client contact information, or any other useful information in legal matters.
How can you retrieve those messages? This guide will show you how Snapchat can recover messages that were deleted.
What makes it more difficult to recover Snapchat messages?
Snapchat is a pioneer in giving users greater control over what content they send, including photos and videos. Snapchat is one of few social media platforms that allows users to send ephemeral messages. What’s the deal?
Ephemeral messaging refers to a chat or conversation that self-destructs. After the receiver has viewed and opened messages, they are automatically deleted.
Read Also; Tubidy.mobi Mp3 Music Audio Download – Free
You can set the time a message stays in an individual’s inbox with ephemeral messaging. This feature is not available on all chat or text platforms. This type of messaging allows users send messages that they wouldn’t otherwise be able to share, without worrying about them being leaked.
You can also save space by sending self-destructing messages to your device. To free up storage space, you don’t need to manually delete items every few days. This will allow your device to run at its best.
Snapchat’s ephemeral messaging can mean that you could lose your valuable data just as fast as you get it. You might want to keep some messages for longer. You can have memorable photos or catchy text, or even work progress reports.
Although Snapchat doesn’t provide a way for you to retrieve these messages within your chats you can still access any message you have ever sent with a few tricks.
Let’s get down to it and find out how to recover deleted messages depending upon the device you use.
How to Recover Snapchat Messages Deleted from an Android Phone
Snapchat messages can be recovered using a variety of methods if you have an Android device.
Method 1: Open Your Device’s Cache
You may want to first use the built-in recovery tools of your Android before you try anything more complicated.
Android devices will automatically delete any memory that has been used to close Snapchat or other apps. You’ll need to reload the app in order to use it again. If your internet connection is poor, this can cause screen freezes, crashes and power problems. Your phone stores some content to help you avoid these issues.
The Android cache memory stores recently used data, or “hot”, that is not normally available from a large storage media. It also stores frequently accessed information near the CPU so it can be accessed quickly. Your Snapchat messages are temporarily cached even after they have been deleted from your chats.
We want to retrieve your messages from the cached storage memory bank. Here are the steps to retrieve deleted messages from your device’s cache memory.
- Use a USB cable to connect your Android device with a computer.
- After your PC has detected your device, navigate to “Android” in your device’s settings folder.
- Click on “Data”.
- Look for a file named “com.Snapchat.android”
- Select the messages that you want to retrieve from the cache folder.
- Click on “Recover.”
These steps will allow you to view and recover your messages. This method can only retrieve the most recent messages. As time passes, older cached data is discarded.
Method 2: Use File Manager
Even if you don’t own a computer, you can still access deleted messages stored in your phone’s internal storage. Here’s how:
- Open the File Manager on your device. You can also download File Manager from the Google Play Store if you don’t already have it installed.
- Click on Internal Storage.
- Click on Essentials. Then, tap All.
- To quickly type Snapchat, tap on the magnifying glasses icon at the upper right-hand side. You can also follow the Android>Data>com.snapchat.android path. This path will vary depending on the Android device you are using.
- Tap on Snapchat.
These instructions might work better depending on the Android version you are using and which manufacturer you are using.
- Open the File Manager app from your device. Navigate to Android.
- Click on Data.
- Open the file named com.snapchat.android.
- All files with the .nomedia extension should be renamed.
You should now be able open any file and view your messages after renaming them.
Browse through any files you find for missing messages. If there are no files, it is likely that your operating system has already deleted the cached files.
Method 3: Request Snapchat data
Snapchat knows that you might want to see some of your deleted messages. Snapchat has created a data recovery page that allows you to retrieve all data from your account, including photos and text.
Here are the steps to use Snapchat data recovery to retrieve your messages
- Enter your credentials at the Snapchat My data page.
- Sign in and you’ll be automatically directed to “My Data”, where you can see a list data items that you can recover. Choose the items that you wish to retrieve.
- Click on To Submit a Request.
- Snapchat admins will immediately access your archives and retrieve the data you requested after you submit a data request. The data will be sent to you via email in a zipped format.
- After you have downloaded the zip file, hold it down and select Extract.
- Navigate to the folder containing the extracted files, and then open a file called Mydata.
- Click on the index.html. Now you can view all deleted Snapchat messages.
Method 4: Use Dedicated Third-Party Recovery Tool
You don’t have to retrieve your Snapchat messages manually using the methods we’ve described. Third-party apps can help you do it all. Android Data Recover Tool is the most recommended. Here are the steps to use it.
- Android Data Recovery can be downloaded and installed on your computer.
- Start the program and click on Data Recovery.
- Connect your Android phone to your computer
- Once the software has detected your Android device, you will be able see a list with the data types you wish to recover on the screen.
- Click on Next in the box above Messages.
- Click on To recover all files, click on Next.
- The software will then scan your device for deleted messages, and display all recoverable data. To recover an item, click on the “Recover” button and then save it to your computer.
Snapchat Deleted Messages Can Be Recovered
Third-party tools can be used to retrieve deleted photos from iOS devices. There are many options, but we will focus on FoneLab iPhone Data Recovery and iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery.
Method 1: Use FoneLab
FoneLab was originally created to assist iPhone users in recovering data from a malfunctioning or dead handset. FoneLab now offers more services including file backup and device repair services.
This tool can be used to retrieve Snapchat messages that have been deleted.
- Install FoneLab onto your computer.
- Use a USB cable to connect your iPhone with your computer.
- After the software has detected your device, you will see a “Start Scan” button on your iPhone’s screen. To initiate the recovery process, tap on it.
- All items that were found during the scan will be displayed on your screen. Select Snapchat messages.
- Click on the message you wish to recover, then tap Recover.
- Select the destination folder, then wait for the software to retrieve your messages.
Method 2: Using iBeesoft iPhone Data recovery
iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery professional iOS data recovery software is available for all Apple mobile devices. It allows you to quickly retrieve photos, messages and contacts as well as text notes, videos, and other data. This is how you can use the software to retrieve your photos:
- Install the software onto your computer.
- Use a USB cable to connect your iPhone with your computer.
- After the software has detected your device, a Recovery From iOS Device button appears on your computer’s screen. To initiate the recovery process, click on it.
- To confirm, click on Scan.
- After the scan is completed, all items that were found will be sorted and displayed on your screen.
- Select Snapchat messages then click on Retrieve.
- The best thing about the iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery App is the ability to recover data from iTunes and iCloud backups. To initiate the recovery process, you just need to choose the source. To recover items from iTunes backups, click Recover From iTunes at step 3.
Protect Your Messages Securely and Safely Recover
There are two options available to help you if Snapchat has deleted your Snapchat message. It’s important that you choose a trusted tool that doesn’t damage your data or corrupt your messages.
Are you a Snapchat user? Have you tried to recover your Snapchat messages using one of the methods in this article. We would love to hear your story. We’d love to hear about your experiences in the comments below.